Computer crimes, also known as cyber crimes, can be described as any criminal act that involves dealing with computers and internet networks. There are various types of cyber crimes committed by criminals.
Here are some of the different types of cyber crimes:
1. Back Door: This type of computer crime is useful during software piracy. It is possible to access commercially provided software packages only through procedures that are secret and hard-coded. However, back doors can be created and inserted into existing programs so as to gain unauthorized access to the software.
2. Data Diddling: This type of cyber crime can be explained as an act of modifying data from a computer system with the objective of either having fun or gaining profit. Some examples include modifying school grades, changing credit rating, altering security clearance information or circumventing audit regulations.
3. Sabotage: This computer crime is committed with a deliberate intention of damaging operation or the equipment.
4. Data Leakage: This can be explained as unauthorized leakage of confidential information present in a computer system. One can accomplish this crime either physically through different kinds of storage devices or by means of network through a process known as hacking.
5. Impersonation: Every secured site needs an authorization code to gain access, Impersonation is a cyber crime that involves gaining access to a secured site by means of pretending to be an authorized used.
6. Logic Bomb: These are special programs written by software programmers with the intention of committing a crime. These programs work in the same way as a time bomb. However, they need a logic in order to trigger and explosion. A logic bomb is a type of Trojan that can damage the entire data present in a system.